Pre Masters Graduate Degree in the USA and Canada 2023:
Do you want to study abroad? If you do, then the chances are that you must have thought about or considered the United States and Canada.
For good reasons, Canada and the United States are two of the most popular study destinations in the world.
While Canada and the United States are great study locations, if you didn’t complete your Bachelor’s degree in Canada or the USA, acquiring a graduate program can be a hit challenging. The good news is universities and colleges in those countries are aware of that. That’s why the pre-Masters program was introduced.
Wondering why you should enrol for the pre-Master’s?
Here are some of the most common reasons why international students enrol in a pre-Master’s course in Canada and the US:
- They do not have the academic requirements needed for direct admission to a graduate degree
- They haven’t taken an official IELTS or TOEFL exam or met the required level of English proficiency. Just so you know, these Schools/colleges do not require IELTS.
- They discover that their diploma or Bachelor’s major does not align with their career plans or future academic goals
Before we start looking at the pre-Masters program, here are a few recommended universities for pre-Masters studies:
- San Francisco State University, the US
- UC Berkeley Global, the US
- University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), the US
What is a pre-Master’s program?
A pre-program Master’s is a support program that assists students with a Bachelor’s diploma in making the transition to their Master’s studies easier. Here is a list of countries that accept HND for masters and Pre-masters.
The entire purpose of a pre-degree Master’s is for students to become acquainted with the theories and concepts of the field of study, as well as the requirements, teaching style, and learning methods typically used in Canada or the United States.
Simply put, you will gain a foundation in one field of study and be fully prepared for “the real Master’s degree.”
Although a pre-program Master’s does not guarantee admission to the Master’s program, it does significantly increase your chances of admission.
On the other hand, once you have completed a pre-program Master’s at a graduate school in the United States or Canada, rather than applying to a single university and risk a 50/50 chance of being admitted, a wise move would be to apply to at least three different universities for a Master’s program in your field of interest; the chances are, you will most likely be accepted one of them.
Also Read Best English Taught Institutions in Sweden for 2023 Admissions
Popular pre-Master’s programs in Canada and the USA
When looking for pre-programs Master’s in the United States and Canada, you will come across a plethora of options.
Below, you’ll find some of the most popular graduate or pre-Master’s preparation programs and what you’ll be learning:
1. Pre-Master’s program in Business or Pre-MBA
- Finance and investments, applied business methods, marketing strategies, management of business information
- receive professional training on how to deliver a speech and a presentation in a professional environment
- GMAT or GRE test training
2. Pre-Master’s program in Engineering
- Improve your engineering skills; most often, you can select a specialization in engineering to study further: Chemical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, etc.
- Take core engineering classes such as mathematics, chemistry, physics, solid mechanics, and so on
- Practical experience: Learn to apply the theories you’ve learned in a modern lab or the real world.
- GRE or GMAT test training
3. Pre-Master’s program in Computer Science
- Participate in basic academic writing and speaking courses
- Learn about database systems, computer architecture, operating systems, language processing, and more
- Apply Computer Science theory in individual or group projects.
- Pre-Master’s program in English
- English academic writing skills
- English speaking and presentation skills
- IELTS/TOFEL exam training
- Pre-Master’s program in Management
- core courses of management: economics, business statistics, finance, marketing, industrial organization
- English business and writing skills
- develop skills like: time and people management, project planning, evaluation, etc.
While undergoing any pre-Master’s program, you’ll:
- You’ll learn more about your preferred discipline via case studies
- Develop English language skills
- Adjust to the type of assessment and general requirements that are specific to the Canadian or American environment
Prepare for a Master’s degree and understand the local culture
During a pre-program Master’s in the United States or Canada, you will not only develop the required skills for the future courses you will take in the Master’s program, but you will also benefit from the following:
- Most colleges and universities in the United States and Canada have qualified counsellors who can advise and guide you on your future study and career plans.
- You will be included in a unique program for international students and will learn how to successfully apply to graduate programs.
- A pre-course Master’s will also provide you with information about the typical academic environment of a college in the United States or Canada and an understanding of the local culture. Although this can sometimes mean that your curriculum includes a culture class, you will generally learn about American and Canadian culture by simply spending time at university and exploring the city where you will live for (at least) a year.